Thursday, February 23, 2012

A photograph is not taken, it is made!



A photograph is not taken, it is made. This is the number one thing that I have learned in this Digital Photography class. At first, I would just take photographs ignorantly without considering any rules of composition. The point and shoot technique was my approach for the majority of my photographs. Fortunately, I have learned that there is a lot more that goes into taking a photograph than simple point and shoot. The rules of composition such as rule of thirds, simplicity, framing, texture, leading lines, symmetry and patterns, and geometric shapes have been helpful guidelines for me this semester. Surely, they will be guidelines for life.



One of my favorite rules to abide by is the rule of thirds. This rule provides a grid that is available on most cameras and is the easiest to visualize. The photos above demonstrate the application of the rule of thirds. The rule of thirds is a visual art rule that can create more tension, energy, and interest than just simply placing the subject in the middle. I've learned that when the subject is moving, it is best to place the subject at an intersection or line that gives the subject the most space to move. The photo below illustrates this point. 



Another favorite of mine is the rule of leading lines. Lines automatically draw your eyes through a photograph and create a meaningful composition.  The lines do not have to be actual lines but can be the lines of the natural world like a walking path or fence. Leading lines can also draw your attention to a subject without the daunting task of having to look around the photograph and find it.





Another rule that I enjoy is simplicity. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid is the first rule my photography teacher taught me when I was in high school. The saying always made me life but I understand now why she always said that. Simplicity is sometimes the best way to go when taking a photograph that can oftentimes be convoluted with excess. It is sometimes best to retract to a rule that is as easy as one, two, three. 



Framing is another technique that can enhance a photo. Framing a subject or scene can draw attention to a main focal point, which can not only make the viewer intrigued, but also give the photo depth, content, and layers. Framing does not always have to be an actual frame but can come in many different shapes and sizes. Also, the frame does not have to completely surround the image but can be on one, or two, or three edges of the photograph.



Photography is a never-ending learning process when it comes to shooting a good photograph. So many techniques and modifications are available to enhance the appeal and artistic nature of each photograph. I look at photography as a growing hobby that will continue in the near future. There is way more than just point there and shoot here. It requires some thinking, just like life.

No comments:

Post a Comment